Okay, so I'm sure many of you are very upset with me for leaving you hanging for a whole month.
Well, nothing VERY exciting happened in September. I mean, my birthday came and went. I suppose that was a little exciting (my students and friends made it pretty special with gifts and karaoke, and I appreciated all the cards and gifts from back home), but 22 doesn't make me feel young. It's like I'm beginning to realize how short my life is.
If I live a life similar to any of my great grandmothers, I've already lived 1/5 of my life. If I look at 1/5 of my life up until now, 4 years have flown by. It seems like just the other day I was jealous of my sister's dog (I really felt she replaced me when I graduated high school), and yet, I feel like more than 5 years have passed since then. How long will it feel for 20 more years to fly by? I'm aware that a life can be here one day and gone the next, regardless of age. People tell me I am so young! Those are the ones who have been blessed with a long life.
In case you are one of those people who doesn't understand why I am in Japan right now, I want to explain it.
I could have worked after college in the USA. I could have stayed in a country where, despite all the crime that happens, I feel safe and secure. I could have found a job with great retirement benefits and just saved up all my money and waited to go explore the world after I retired. But then, I look at my relatives. I love all of them SO much. And even though I might be lucky and inherit Great Grandma Knisley's genes, that's a 1 in 4 chance. Bad hearts run in my family. My heart nearly kept me from being born alive. Sure, it's fine now. But how long will it last me? Knee problems, arthritis, and other aches and pains make it troublesome to travel. If I make it to retirement, will I even be able to spend that money on anything but medical bills? I'm not careless. I know to save my money, I've been taught well. But I've also been taught not to make money my god.
I know I took a risk by leaving my country. I know that there are so many EARTHLY reasons why I shouldn't be here. But I feel there are just as many reasons why I should.
I'm here first and foremost because God opened up this door. I have a heart to share the wonderful gift of Jesus Christ with people. In America, I haven't found many people who want to hear. Often they just change the subject, or they think they know. Here, in Japan, people are curious because I'm different. They want to know everything about me! They want to know whether or not I eat German food because my ancestors were German (no, I prefer Italian - what is German food? ;p) They want to know how a 21-year-old could graduate from a university. They want to know if South Carolina is a humid place. They want to know what South Carolina is famous for (I've withheld the "redneck" information). But one of their biggest interests is how I, as a Christian, think. They like to compare and contrast Buddhist traditions with Christian traditions. And, the best part, for me, is that I get to hear what they think of Christianity. I don't know what it is like to look at Christians and not believe in their God. I don't know what it is like to know nothing about the Bible. To have never even heard of Jesus Christ. To not even know what the cross symbolizes. And the honesty that I have been able to hear, has allowed me to understand people that I could not understand on my own.
So, yes, I'm spreading my wings. I'm living abroad. I'm learning a language. I'm dealing with my own challenges. I don't plan to be here forever, but I'm here for the term God wants me to be here for. I have no regrets thus far and do not plan to regret coming here. This was the path I chose. Perhaps it's dangerous and perhaps it is risky. But I believe that God will be with me every step of the way, and when it comes time for me to go to my heavenly home, I will hear the words "Well done, good and faithful servant."
You are an amazing young woman and I'm proud to know you. Miss you lots and love you more!
ReplyDeleteMom
Nice : )
ReplyDeleteHi, mom! Your daughter is awesome : )