Thursday, June 10, 2010

Getting into the PR mode

So, after the SORA class today, I decided to spend the afternoon washing sheets and clothes, while working on plans for upcoming events this summer to help promote Agape English School.

We are hoping to have a children's afternoon event on Sunday, June 27, a Fourth of July event, a ladies' game night in July, and a 3 day English Camp in August.

Cindy has coloring books that a friend of hers printed up in Japanese for her that tell the story of Jesus from his birth to his resurrection. We hope to use that for both the afternoon event and the 3 day camp. The camp will have more activities and each day will focus on a different part. Day 1 - Jesus' Birth, Day 2 - Jesus' Life (specifically focusing on one miracle - yet to be decided), and Day 3 - Jesus' Death & Resurrection. I'm having difficulty coming up with some craft ideas for older children. Both children's events will be for ages 5-11 (maybe 12). I've thought of a magnet frame with maybe a verse to put behind it; and I found instructions for an oragami church. Unfortunately creativity is not really my area. I can follow instructions, but I can't come up with ideas, so any help in this department would be most welcome. Please be praying as we finalize these events.

This Sunday we'll begin a Bible study with some Japanese friends who are interested in learning more about Christianity. We have a study called Abundant Life Studies. It is in both Japanese and English. English is on the left side of each page, and Japanese is on the right side. It is intended for non-believers, which is really good and I hope it will help inform our friends better about what Christianity is all about.

Last night, we went and had Ramen at a real Ramen restaurant. It was delicious! I got a stamp on a frequent eaters card and I think I remember how to get there, so I plan to go again. Then we went into the countryside (I think, it was dark) to a place along a river where the fireflies can be seen best. There were so many of them! I'd never seen so many fireflies before. It was like the stars were in the grass as well as the sky. Lots of people came out to see them. I caught one firefly. I named him/her Magic Finger Firefly, because it kept crawing onto my pointer finger and I could hold it up and say "ksh!" every time it lit up.

Firefly Song I learned last night:
Hou Hou Hotaru koi.
Acchi no mizu wa nigai zo.
Kocchi no mizu wa amai zo.
Hou Hou Hotaru koi.

It means:
Fi-fi-firefly come.
The water over there is bitter.
The water here is sweet.
Fi-fi-firely come.

3 comments:

  1. Very neat. I love the firefly song. Whenever I figure out skype, you'll have to sing it for me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I'll do that!!! Glad you like it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like it too! Sounds like an amazing experience with the fireflies!

    ReplyDelete