Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Home for the Holidays

As I'm sitting in the airport waiting to start my journey back to Japan, I'm feeling very thankful for the opportunity I had to return home and see my family for Christmas and New Year's Day.

Since it's January 2nd, you could say that 2013 is already well underway.  Many people will return to work today, or return home from vacation.  School will be starting back up in the next few days for most students.  As for my school, classes begin again on January 8.  I'm relieved I've planned a weekend to recover from jet lag, because I've also developed a nasty cough that's rather aggravating.

I guess it's time to make some New Year's resolutions.  I'm pretty certain that I didn't successfully complete any of mine last year, despite having made manageable goals.  I think it's interesting how as a culture, Americans put a lot of hope in the new year.  Last year wasn't so great, but this year will be better.  We're very optimistic.  The truth is, unless we rigorously change ourselves, the outcome of this year will be the same as last year.  We'll quit our diets as soon as we see that chocolate cake.  We'll put off running until the snow melts, but by then we'll complain it's too hot and before you know it, it'll be snowing again.  We'll manage to start reorganizing our closets,  Only to get distracted and end up leaving them unfinished.  The list goes on.

Why is it that we often are unable to complete our goals for the year?  I think my biggest problem is I try to change my life without ever making God a big part of the plan.  Oh, maybe I've fooled myself into thinking that I have when I vow to read the Bible everyday.  But, the truth is, I haven't.  The resolutions I make are often done with selfish ambition and vain conceit.  I don't ask God to make these goals part of my spiritual growth.  It's sort of like why I don't cook: if I'm only doing them for me, then what's the point?

So as I begin this year, I'm trying to focus more on involving God in my decisions.  Or rather, involving myself in His decisions.  That is, resolving to be willing to be used in HIS plans for this year.

"Know that wisdom is thus for your soul;
If you find it, then there will be a future,
And your hope will not be cut off."
Proverbs 24:14
 

No comments:

Post a Comment