Friday, December 21, 2012

How Long Will You Work For God? (Chapel Speech - Nov. 20, 2012)

'Take what is yours and go, but I wish to give to this last man the same as to you.  Is it not lawful for me to do what I wish with what is my own?  Or is your eye envious because I am generous?' So the last shall be first, and the first last." ~Matthew 20:14-16

Are you the oldest child in your family?

I am the oldest of three daughters. 

Since I was the first child, my parents often called me the “Guinea Pig.” 

This means I was their test for how to be parents to my younger sisters.

Usually, I experienced many things before my sisters.  However, sometimes, when I did something for the first time, my younger sisters did it as well. 

When this happened, I said to my parents, “Why can they do this thing at a younger age than me?  It’s not fair!  I had to wait longer!” 

My parents would say to me, “You are not the parent.  It is not your decision when you can do something!”

Their words were like this story in the Bible. 

Jesus told a story about a man who needed people to work in his vineyard. 

This man was very wealthy, but he couldn’t do his work without help.  All day long, he hired people: some in the morning and some in the afternoon. 

The workers in the morning were told they would receive a penny for their work.  When they heard that, they were glad and went to work. 

In the evening, the man paid everyone.  He gave everyone a penny, no matter how long they worked. 

The ones who had worked the longest were angry, even though they had agreed to work for a penny. 

The man reminded them that he paid them the agreed amount.  Also, this was his money, so he could give however much he wanted to each worker.

Jesus said that this story is an example of what Heaven will be like. 

There are many Christians.  Some have been Christians since childhood, some as young adults, some as middle-aged adults, and others as elderly. 

No matter how long they’ve been a Christian, they will all receive the same reward: Heaven. 

This is why Jesus said, “So the last shall be first, and the first last” (Matthew 20:16a).  No Christian is better than any other.

However, Jesus also warns people.  He says, “for many are called, but few chosen” (Matthew 20:16b).  This means that everyone cannot go to Heaven! 

In order to go to Heaven you MUST respond to God’s voice calling you!  If you DO NOT live for Jesus Christ, you will receive no reward when you die.

For those of you who are Christians, I want you to seriously consider this verse. 

You have been chosen and are in the family of God! 

Look at the person sitting to your left and to your right.  Look at your best friends.  Are they following Jesus Christ? 

They are your harvest!  Your mission, as a Christian, is to teach others how they can follow Jesus Christ!

Some people think that because even old people become Christians and God accepts them that they can wait to follow Jesus Christ until they are older. 

That is a foolish thought! 

How many of you know someone who has died before they were 20-years-old?  Before they were 30-years old? 

Why do you think that you will live to be 100-years-old? 

Please, do not wait to follow Christ!

If you follow him now, you will live the rest of your life with the assurance of Heaven!


No comments:

Post a Comment