Sunday, November 6, 2011

Happy 54th Birthday, Dad!

Birthday!
So, today's my dad's birthday. My sister, Debbie, thought he was 56, and that he was 56 last year (which makes no sense, every year you must grow older). I think she just thinks he's reallllllly old. I explained why he was definitely 54 and Savannah said we had to go with what I said because I was the only one who had successfully passed math of the three of us.

We celebrated last night: ate steaks and had chocolate cake and watched LSU beat Bama (9-6 OT) -- Finally, Bama's perfect record is broken! In case you don't know, my paternal side are all die-hard Auburn fans. Mom's a USC fan so she's a bit sad today. We stopped watching that game before it was over (though Savannah kept wanting to go back and see it because it wasn't clicking in her brain that with only 5 minutes left in the 4th quarter it would take a miracle for USC to gain the lead).

All Hallows Eve
So, last Monday was Halloween. Let me just say upfront--Halloween is my least favorite holiday. I dislike all the commericalism that emphasizes and advocates the evils I'm against. Also, that's all the stuff on TV during that time. I love fall festivals. When I was a kid, I never went trick-or-treating in the neighborhood, but we went to church fall festivals and enjoyed candy that way.

Anyway, despite my dislike of the holiday, I baked some ginger bread to take to people my mom and I had been discussing for a couple of months about bringing food too. So, that was nice to have an excuse, before Christmas, to show up and give people treats. That evening we hid in our house with the outside lights off because we forgot to buy candy to give the kids--not that there are too many kids in our neighborhood anymore. Luckily, we didn't get toilet papered like that one year we forgot to leave candy on the porch when we were away for the evening.

Just to shout out to a couple of friends who had interesting costumes this year:
My BFF Stacey made herself a t-shirt that looked like notebook paper. She was loose-leaf notebook paper for the costume party she went to. It took a few times looking at her pictures before I realized she wasn't wearing normal clothes. I mean, clothes have stripes, it's the random vertical red line that made it stand out. All the same, it was cleverly simple.

My friend Micah wore a zorro hat, two frito bags, and a toy gun to work at Applebees and said he was "Frito Bandito." I'm pretty certain only he could pull that off successfully.

No comments:

Post a Comment