Friday, January 21, 2011

The Rabbit Arrives!

My friend Chitose Taguchi and I (in Kanazawa)

2011 is the year of the rabbit! My mother is a rabbit. My father is a rooster. According to the Chinese zodiac paper placemats that I used to read when I would go to Chinese restaraunts the rabbit and rooster should never marry. I read that and have never given the Chinese zodiac any credible thought since. I mean, sure, my parents have their differences, but their love for Christ has always been strong. Plus, my sisters and I are absolutely gorgeous (at least I think so). So, I that shows a great combination of genes, right?

Anyway, I'm sure you're wondering how I spent Christmas and New Year's Day.

Well, I was very disheartened that Santa Claus didn't leave anything for me (has to be because I don't have a chimney, right?). Christmas evening was lively though. I had three single girl friends over for a supper of ham, chicken wings, mixed vegetables, scalloped potatos, and cupcakes. The cupcakes, unfortunately, tasted slightly like they'd been barbequed due to the fact that I burned the butter in the icing. We ate them anyway. To be honest, cakes here are not as sweet and fluffy as cakes back home. I used a cake mix for the cupcakes, but maybe I should have made them from scratch (like I have that kind of time!).
These are the lovely ladies I spent Christmas with (left to right): Laura, Yumiko, Eri, and me.
The day after Christmas the English Bible study (MEETS) had a Christmas potluck. My coworker Tim came with his wife and his parents (who were visiting for a month over the holidays). It was a fun time of good food and fellowship.

I left on December 30th for my New Year's vacation. I stopped in Kyoto for 5 hours and went up the Kyoto Tower and toured a nearby temple and dined on some good okinomiyaki (it had squid in it! YUM!). Then I got on a train and headed north again to my final destination: Kanazawa.

Kanazawa is the place I stayed for 2 months during summer 2005 with the Taguchi family. I also went there in July 2010 to see my friend Ayumi before she left for America (she spent New Year's with my family and I with hers, how fun!). The other 5 children (the Taguchi family has 6 children and 3 grandchildren) were all home during that time. I had plenty of opportunity to practice my Japanese. I didn't know I even knew enough to carry on a conversation!!! I visited Kenrokouen (a famous garden park) and took photos of the snow. I went to a temple called Ninja Dera because it has lots of secret traps and such. I also went to a foot onsen (which is a hot spring). Boy, that water was so HOT! I'm so glad it wasn't a full body. I had yakiniku 3 times during my stay (that's like a meat based meal with several types of grilled meat).
On January 5, I left Kanazawa and headed to Osaka. I spent the night in a hotel in Osaka (I didn't do the capsule hotel because it was very far from the station, this hotel was difficult to find and it was very close!). The next morning I went to a shrine that took me over an hour to get to (because I got confused, Osaka is HUGE). I wanted to go there because it's a shrine that is from like 700AD with Japanese style design, not the Buddhist style influence. I also went to Osaka Castle (which the inside is a big museum dedicated to Hideyoshi who built the castle and is a hero/monster of a man in history). So, when I finally arrived back home the night of the 6th I was tuckered out. I had a very relaxing vacation in Kanazawa but wore myself out in Osaka (I suppose I was a bit foolish, huh?).
Top: Kenrokoen Garden (considered one of the top 3 in Japan by the Japanese) covered in snow.
Middle: Ninja Dera - looks like it's 2 stories, but actually 4! (and one floor is hidden because building regulations at the time forbade temples to be taller than 3 floors).
Bottom: Foot hotspring - It's REALLY hot!!!

Anyway, since then classes have begun in full swing. We've lost a few students, which isn't good. We will begin a new campaign (where we leave flyers with special coupons in people's mailboxes) starting Tuesday. So, please pray that more students will come.
Also, Sunday night I will be performing my clarinet and giving my testimony at Kurashiki Church. This church has an evening service every week, but this week they decided to have the young people of the church lead it. So instead of a sermon, 3 people are giving testimonies (incuding me). Thankfully, this lovely girl is going to translate for me (I emailed it to her in advance) so I won't have to speak it in Japanese. Below is the testimony I plan to share:
Allyson’s Testimony - Sunday, January 23, 2011

Hello, my name is Allyson Randall. I am from America and am 22-years-old. I arrived in Japan on May 28, 2010. I work as an English teacher at Agape English School in Shin Kurashiki.

I grew up in a Christian home and have claimed Jesus Christ as my Savior since I was a child. Growing up, all my friends were Americans. When I became friends with people from other countries, they usually could speak English. I was used to being surrounded by people who believed in my God and spoke my language.

Coming to a foreign country is very difficult. Especially if you come alone, and live alone and stay for many months. I live in an apartment by myself. I have to do all the cooking, cleaning, and laundry by myself--things that I hate doing and can’t do very well. This is the first time I have ever lived alone. At first, it was fun and exciting, but living alone can become really scary. When I hear a sudden noise or the doorbell rings and I don’t recognize the person standing outside, I am a little afraid.
When I encounter people in stores, restaurants, and other places I visit, I realize that I am not understood. Most people only speak Japanese. I only understand a little Japanese. If I need help, I find communicating very difficult and sometimes embarrassing.
Despite being alone at home, and embarrassed when I shop, the truth is that I am not alone. Everyday when I go to work I am with coworkers and students. On Sundays, I attend church and have met many people through various church activities. Many wonderful people who, even if they can’t understand me, care about me.
God is always with me. When I get scared in my apartment, I find comfort in Him. When a shop clerk understands my question, I thank God for allowing understanding. And when the Christians I’ve met come by to check on me, feed me, and invite me to events, I remember that I am with my family. As a Christian, all other Christians are my brothers and sisters. Wherever I go, as long as there are people who follow Christ, I am with my family.

So, even though I get lonely and scared, God has never left me. God says (in Genesis 28:15), “I am with you and will watch over you wherever you go, and I will bring you back to this land. I will not leave you until I have done what I have promised you.”

2 comments:

  1. Did you just say squid and yum in the same sentence?
    Btw, speaking of burning things, remember when we house sat for Grace Marie and burned both the cookies AND the cinnamon rolls beyond recognition? Some things never change haha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember that!!! Didn't we mess up her pan too?

    ReplyDelete