Last Sunday (December 5), we had our adult Christmas party for Agape. It was a White Elephant Gift Exchange. There were 16 people, including the 3 staff members. Of the 13 guests, 4 were not students, but friends or family that were brought along by our students. The event went well. If you would like to view more pictures of this event, please go to this link: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2035833&id=85501248&l=4971880ace.
Yesterday I recieved a fallen, red leaf from a young man - age 3. I can't remember the last time a boy gave me a gift like that: innocent and on a whim. Souma-kun is very sweet, it seems. His brother Yuma is very brave. Yuma-kun is 1-year-old. They are my neighbors, behind my apartment.
About a month ago I had gone over to give Mayumi, their mother, some kaki (persimmons). She had a cold that day. I told her I'd like to go to the park with her and the boys some time (there is a park very close to our apartment complex). So, we set the date (Dec. 12). I had met Mayumi in June when I had given gifts to the neighbors to introduce myself. Sadly, I can count on one hand the number of times we've spoken since then.
I really like her, I suppose L. M. Montgomery might have called it a feeling of kindred spirits. I don't get that feeling so often. And, unfortunately, most of the ones whom I've felt that bond are merely acquaintances now whom I occasionally greet on Facebook. Perhaps the truth is that kindred spirits are not meant to gather in one place. I don't know. Maybe I should study philosophy next, I've been told I'd be good at it and I think kindred spirits would fall under that category in terms of acceptable sciences. Whatever this connection, I just know that Mayumi is someone I need to get to know better. It took me too long to figure out how. I tried inviting her to events, but with two little boys she can't come to things for adults. So, the park was the solution.
The great thing is that my Japanese has improved since the summer, both my ability to understand it as well as speak it. (Though my understanding is probably less than Yuma-kun's). Anyway, for 45 minutes we were able to make small talk and laugh with the boys. But then I had to go because I had been informed that morning that I needed to practice with the pianist and other clarinetist for our presentation of Silent Night next Sunday. It seems, though, that I can meet with my neighbors next Sunday. I have plenty of time next Sunday (no rehearsals!). I hope it will be sunny. Saturday was rainy and today is rainy, but the Lord blessed yesterday with sunshine, which thrills me because we couldn't have gone to the park without it!
Looks like your life is adventorous, I admire anyone who can learn japanese:)
ReplyDeleteIt's very difficult, but the learning process is fun!
ReplyDelete