Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Mini Pot Pies


Cooking is not my forte.  Especially when I've only got one burner and a microwave to work with.  My excuse for the past year has been, "If only I had an oven. . ."  But, I can't use that excuse anymore, since a good friend passed her oven on to me before she returned to the US in August.  Now I have an oven, so I should be cooking more, right?  Well, it turns out that the real reason I don't cook has nothing to do with the equipment I have or don't have.  What it really "boils" down to is that I just don't like to do it!

However, sometimes, I start craving foods that I can't just go out and buy in Japan.  So far that has mainly been biscuits.  That is, Southern American biscuits (not cookies!).  But, the other day, I took it a step further.  I thought, "I want chicken pot pie".  But I came across a vegan recipe first, so I decided to try simply "pot pie".  So I took Minimalist Baker's 1-Hour Vegan Pot Pies recipe, divided everything in half (I was cooking for one) changed a few things and: voila!




I had never considered cooking in a mug before, and the result was so cute!  It made a great single serving pot pie.  



I also used a jar as the other serving dish, which worked nice because to store it I just had to screw the lid on.  



The taste was really good too.  Some things I did differently: no onion (I don't like to chop onions), no vegan friendly broth (I just used regular consume which probably has chicken), regular milk not almond, my all-purpose flour was most definitely bleached, and I used a different biscuit recipe all together.

No comments:

Post a Comment