Monday, May 26, 2014

Thoughts on Memorial Day

Today is the US Memorial Day.

When I think about men who died in battle, I think of the men in my grandfather's unit during the Korean War.  They boarded a bus.  My grandfather was reassigned at the last moment and did not get on that bus.  Every man who was on that bus was killed.  I've heard this story many times from my grandfather.  I think the memories of those young men, his friends, haunts him.  I think he tells this story because he doesn't want their sacrifice to be forgotten.

While my heart is saddened by the memories of these men, I am ever grateful to God that my grandfather was reassigned.  This was years before my mother was born.  If he had died, then not only would his story on earth have ended, but mine would have never begun.

We have heroes who died and heroes who lived.  I believe that, in the midst of human wars begun and fought with human agendas, God is still sovereign.

As a tribute to those men I will quote from the Army anthem:
"Men in rags, men who froze,
Still that Army met its foes,
And the Army went rolling along."

No comments:

Post a Comment