Sunday, June 30, 2013

Exam Week - a Teacher's Perspective

June, the first month of summer, is commonly the first month of summer vacation in the USA. In Japan, however it is merely the third month of the school year and the start of rainy season.

As a team teacher and elective course teacher, it has been my month of exams--giving them that is. This is the third exam period I've given since working at this school. Personally, I think that the exam time is just as difficult for teachers as it is for students. I had to create 13 different tests which would sufficiently reflect the students' progress. I also have to administer these tests and deal with problems. Ten of these tests were using the computer lab to record. Out of 46 computers only 34 run and are properly equipped with headphones and mice. Everyday last week I had to recheck the computers. 2 headsets went missing mid-week. Luckily I managed to find replacements, but I can't help but be suspicious that some of the students disrespected the property enough to steal.

The most rewarding test experience was with the 3rd year (senior) students who had been assigned to give a speech. Their topics were so diverse and a real reflection of their personalities. They talked about themselves, best friends, holiday vacations, dreams, favorite movies, and one person described life at an airport because she likes airplanes. It was fun for me.

Well, I can put the tests behind me now, almost. I will spend this next week with red ink dripping down my fingers and finish with giving makeup exams next Saturday for the dozen or so students who were absent for the tests.

(Picture: relaxing in Kenrokuen)

No comments:

Post a Comment